The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is easily spread through the transfer of bodily fluids. The virus can be spread through coughing, sneezing, breathing and other airborne methods, as well as by residue of these fluids on surfaces. In order to have a safe film production, the following guidelines establish safety protocols for students who are working together to create films.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND FOLLOW EVERY STEP!
We know that days on movie sets can be long and tiring, and that people can get lax about following protocols after a long day. Due to this, it is REQUIRED that all student film productions have a dedicated Safety Manager. This role can be attached to the Assistant Director, a Producer or a standalone manager. All film productions must have a named and dedicated person who will ensure that safety protocols are followed. This manager MUST meet with the Film Department faculty prior to filming to discuss the protocols. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a meeting.
It is strongly recommended that all members of the cast & crew have a COVID-19 test no more than 2 days prior to filming. If you have multiple filming dates, this means multiple tests. All cast & crew isolate as much as possible between the test and filming to reduce the risk of contraction of the virus before joining the production.
The Director and Producer are the primary leaders on a film set, and it is your obligation to remove anyone from your set that does not comply with these guidelines. If someone is not wearing a mask, or behaving in an unsafe way, you must remove them from your set and production. This is for the safety of everyone involved in your film. The Safety Manager is also empowered to remove anyone from set for any reason.
If any member of the cast or crew shows symptoms of COVID-19, or is tested positive, the ENTIRE PRODUCTION MUST SHUT DOWN until all cast & crew are re-tested.
Contact the Department Chair immediately.
LA+D FILM SET SAFETY PROTOCOLS FOR COVID-19
- Masks must be worn at all times by all Crew. Masks must cover both mouth & nose at all times.
- Masks must be worn by Cast at all times when they are not filming. Masks be worn between takes.
- All cast & crew must monitor regularly for symptoms, and remove themself from set if there is any indication of infection. This must be reported to the Department Chair immediately!
- All sets must have hand sanitizer available for all cast & crew, and it should be used regularly.
- Wash hands frequently, using warm water and soap, for at least 20 seconds.
- Maintain social distancing of at least six feet between people whenever possible. When it is not possible to keep this distance, masks must be worn.
- Whenever possible, provide individual seating options for all cast & crew, to reduce surface contamination. If this is not possible, wipe down surfaces frequently with disinfectant wipes.
- Bathroom surfaces such as flush handle, faucet knobs and door handle should be disinfected regularly. A crew member must be assigned to this task.
- Limit the number of people touching equipment. Only the camera team should touch the camera, lenses, tripods, and related gear. Only the sound team should touch the microphones and audio recorders. Only the gaff/grip team should touch the lights. Each Director is responsible for establishing teams and clarifying their area of oversight, and what gear they can handle.
- Wipe down gear with disinfectant wipes frequently. Pay careful attention to areas that are touched often, as well as hard-to-reach spots where contamination may collect.
- Gear cases, handles, latches and other surfaces must be disinfected regularly.
- All gear, props, supplies and surfaces must be THOROUGHLY CLEANED at the start and end of every filming session. This includes chairs, tables, and any surface touched. Pay special attention to areas you may ignore, such as electrical outlets, cords, and other areas that may be forgotten. It is strongly suggested that each crew member carry a roll of tape with them, and mark any surface they touch with a piece of tape. This will make it easier to find areas to clean at the end of production.
- NO COMMUNAL FOOD! This means each member of the cast & crew must be provided with individual meals, or access to individual food options.
- All food & beverages must be covered or wrapped when not being consumed.
- Food & beverage consumption must adhere to social distancing guidelines, and cast & crew should eat meals at least six feet apart.
THESE GUIDELINES ARE EVOLVING, AND PLEASE CHECK BACK PRIOR TO FILMING.
PRINT OUT THESE GUIDELINES AND KEEP THEM POSTED ON SET AT ALL TIMES.